As you have probably heard, user key common storage will not be allowed in z/OS 2.4.
For more information on z/OS 2.4 User Key Common removal see Marna Walle’s article: Reminder to take a look: z/OS V2.4 user key common removal
IBM added some flags in the type 30 SMF record to audit usage of user key common storage. The flags allow you to see which jobs used user key common storage. The flags are:
There is another flag for Restricted Use Common Service Area:
Restricted use CSA is a relatively new function not going away in 2.4, but IBM discourage its use and it is becoming a priced feature.
EasySMF provides reports to show these flags and help you find any jobs or address spaces using user key common storage. The common storage flags are shown in the following reports:
- Job Memory Information – Shows information from jobs and address spaces after they have ended.
- Step Completions – Shows information from ended steps. This report shows the program name.
- Running Jobs – Shows information including jobs that are still running (from SMF type 30 interval records).
You will need to scroll right to find the User Key Common columns.
- User Key Audit indicates whether the SMF30_UserKeyCommonAuditEnabled flag is set. This must be on, otherwise the information in the other fields is not valid.
- User Key CSA shows the value of SMF30_UserKeyCsaUsage.
- User Key CADS shows the value of SMF30_UserKeyCadsUsage
- User Key CHANGKEY shows the value of SMF30_UserKeyChangKeyUsage
- Restricted Use CSA shows the value of SMF30_UserKeyRuCsaUsage
Click the column headers to sort the values and find any jobs where the flags are set (click twice to sort descending).
User Key Common reports on z/OS using Java
If you don’t want to download SMF data to a PC, you can run a report on z/OS using Java. EasySMF:JE (a set of Java classes to map SMF records) provides a sample report to show User Key Common information.
Quickstart installation information for EasySMF:JE can be found here: EasySMF:JE Java Quickstart
Change the class name in IVP4 from com/blackhillsoftware/samples/RecordCount to com/blackhillsoftware/samples/UserKeyCommon to run the User Key Common sample report.
30 Day Trial
Both EasySMF and EasySMF:JE can be downloaded for 30 day trials.
Information about the trial is available here.